12 May 2015

Celtic Triskle Jigsaw Puzzle Medicine


Lately, I have been thinking more and more about the idea of art being used as a healing tool for Post Traumatic Stress (Injury, not 'Disorder') and possible ideas to help people take their mind off constantly ruminating over the events which caused the emotional trauma to begin with. The 'go nowhere' cycle. 

As some of you may know, I am great believer in creativity being used as a healing device for emotional and mild psychological trauma. However, not everyone is artistically inclined, nor wants to get involved with painting or drawing. I tried to also address this problem by using the images on the tarot, but again, for whatever reason, using tarot deck imagery is not suited to everyone.




Anyone who attended my lectures in 2012 would have seen me talk about the meditative and even healing qualities of drawing spirals. There is something about the spiral design that allows people to get involved in the shape and geometry of the spiral itself, and allow them to take their minds off rumination and toxic thought patterns which lead nowhere apart from further despondency and unanswered questions.

The other day, I came up with the idea for a Jigsaw of a Celtic Triskle Spiral Pattern using an inexpensive blank jigsaw from a crafts shop. The idea being, that people who are not inclined, nor interested in art can 'lose themselves' in the puzzle of the jigsaw itself and then contemplate the shape of the spirals within the triskle design as a form of therapy. 

This is a prototype I made to test the idea out, and indeed there is something rather pleasant and soothing about solving this puzzle. For the next stage, I would like to take this up to a much larger jigsaw and many, many more puzzle pieces. All the jigsaws are hand painted by me in acrylics and then sealed in a tough spray lacquer so they can be solved and taken apart over and over again.

1 comment:

  1. Boss idea. I've been threatening to get a spiral tattoo for about 3 years now. I don't do tattoo at all although after a relationship break up I got my boys name tattooed on my back. Anyway it was a big deal so to be drawn to have a spiral tattooed I agree there is something special about them. I feel a warmth towards them for sure! I wonder if it's possible to make a spiral chess game, now there's a thought...

    ReplyDelete